Friday 9 March 2012

Friday 9 March - Katsu Curry

So, the lovely beef stew and the pork and beans were enjoyed - but not by me as a hideous stomach bug hit me for the latter part of the week - not a good way to lose a couple of pounds!

Tonight, chicken and rice, as surely I'd be able to eat this, and some curry sauce for those that fancied it (turns out that I did - I may pay for this later)

Essential ingredients - I've googled for Katsu curry sauce, and all I can find is that you should buy a chinese curry paste - so this was purchased from Akrams on a previous visit - just add water. It's kind of vile in a special way that nothing else will do in its place. Panko breadcrumbs are also the only thing that will do in this dish


I serve with steamed rice - I boil thai jasmine rice for a couple of minutes, then run cold water over to chill, return to the pan over boiling water sitting in a sieve, and steam for about 10-15 minutes


Chicken breasts are trimmed, bashed out a bit, then dipped in egg and the breadcrumbs twice. I used to fry these, but tonight they were baked with a touch of spray oil, and it worked perfectly.



Other thing I serve with anything oriental is cucumber salad - sliced cucumber is marinaded for as long as possible with ginger (I used some out of a tube), sugar, salt, and rice wine vinegar. Then it's drained and drizzled with a touch of sesame oil. I sometimes garnish with sesame seed and chilli, but couldn't be bothered to do this tonight.

To serve, the chicken is sliced, and served with the rice, cucumber salad and sauce



No comments:

Post a Comment