Sunday 12 May 2013

Saturday 11 May - Curry Goat

I'd seen goat meat advertised at a farm shop locally, so  decided to get my Levi Roots book out and find a recipe for Curry Goat - something I've never cooked or even eaten before.

I was surprised to find that the goat meat was fresh, and came cut into smallish chunks, but with quite a lot of bone left in it.

This meat was marinaded in lime juice, Jamaican mild curry powder, and what should have been all purpose seasoning which I forgot to buy, so we added grated onion, all spice, chilli powder, thyme and salt and pepper.


Then the cooking started - this took ages and was carried out in stages with much adding of stock at 45 minute intervals.



Finally the other ingredients, peppers, scotch bonnet, allspice, ginger, garlic and herbs were added and another 2 hours cooking.

 
 
 
For the rice and peas, a coconut was grated and soaked in hot water, before squeezing the milk out. (I think next time I'll use a tin of coconut milk!)
 
 
 
This milk was simmered with various flavourings before being used to cook the rice and black beans in
 




The final stage of the curry was to add some potatoes, and then cook until they were tender.

We served the curry with the rice and peas, and some sliced plantain which I fried in sunflower oil.


No comments:

Post a Comment