Saturday 31 January 2015

Friday 30 Jan - Thai Chicken Massaman Curry

This weeks purchase from Lidl was a rice cooker - I know that rice is easy to cook anyway, but we eat loads of it, and this cuts out the boiling over or forgetting about it risk.




As it was Friday, there was little doubt that it would be a curry night so we would get to use our new toy, but I rather fancied a change from the usual.
After Christmas I had treated myself to the Hairy Bikers Asian Adventure book, and I found a recipe in that for this Chicken Massaman Curry.

To start off with, some spices were roasted and ground



Then the other paste ingredients were added - these ingredients had caused a lunchtime visit to three shops to find galangal, lemon grass, lime leaves and Thai basil. The unusual ingredient for me in this paste was the peanuts.





Once the paste was made the curry could be cooked - onions and chicken were fried before adding the paste mix.




And then in went tomatoes, stock, coconut milk,cubed potatoes, and some more flavourings - this was all simmered until tender.



Once cooked, the dish was finished with thai basil and roasted peanuts, and served with the rice.




1 comment:

  1. This appears to be an excellent recipe. Thank you for providing such thorough instructions for the recipe. In comparison to other recipes the Chicken Massaman Curry stays at the top as one of my favorite recipes. A few days ago, I tried a similar authentic Thai massaman chicken curry recipe and it was delicious. Your method of preparing the chicken Massaman curry recipe appeals to me as well. So, I'll give it a try for sure without any doubt.

    ReplyDelete