Sunday 9 March 2014

Saturday 8 March - Tonka Bean Icecream

Another recipe from my new egg book - I'd never heard of Tonka Beans before, and a bit of online shopping was required to get my hands on some.
They arrived this week, and despite a long day out in the garden putting up my new greenhouse, I decided to make this to use up some cream we had in the fridge.

The beans looks a bit like dried rabbit droppings, and as soon as we opened the jar we were hit by the aroma - a bit like a cross between cinnamon and vanilla.



One and a half beans were grated into a mix of milk and cream and this was heated up. The recipe said to infuse for a couple of house, but as I didn't have time to do this, I made the custard with the grated beans in the liquid and we sieved it once the custard had cooled.





I made the custard using whole eggs and a spoonful of cornflour as I feel it's a bit of a waste using just egg yolks - this is despite having 6 or 7 eggs a day at the moment!


Once the custard was strained we churned it in the ice cream machine.


The resulting ice cream was a huge hit with visiting teenagers - not unlike vanilla but something a bit different - definitely a flavour to try other things with.


No comments:

Post a Comment