Tuesday 4 March 2014

Tuesday 4 March - Indian Pancakes For Pancake Day

Despite my promise not to buy anymore recipe books, I spotted a book about eggs in The Works this weekend - A Good Egg by Genevieve Taylor - Recipes from an Urban Hen Keeper. As we are currently getting 6-7 eggs a day from our chickens I thought this one was justified!

The first page I opened had a recipe for pancakes filled with potato curry that looked amazing - so a version of this was perfect for Pancake Day.

I did change the filling as the recipe in the book used curry paste, and I don't like the harsh flavour, so I replaced this with my favourite potato and mustard seeds from a Madhur Jaffrey Book.

The pancake batter was a basic wheatflour one, but with the addition of mustard seeds and turmeric - it came out a lovely colour!


The filling was made up - fried mustard and cumin seeds, then in with the onions when the seeds start popping.



To this spices were added - cumin, coriander, turmeric and some chilli powder, along with cooked cubed potatoes and some fresh chillies. I also added peas to this to pad it all out a bit. A splash of water and a bit more cooking and finished off with chopped fresh coriander.



A chutney to serve alongside was made from chopped tomatoes, chilli, coriander along with some garlic, sugar and lime juice.

The pancakes were fried, I tried to make them as thin as possible.



Then to serve, the pancakes were spread with a bit of mango chutney and the potato and pea filling, and then rolled up. Served with the coriander chutney


No comments:

Post a Comment