Monday 15 June 2015

Sunday 14 June - Jerk Chicken

It's barbeque weather at the moment, and I like the idea of using it to cook the meat part of a  meal, rather than a general pig out on lots of different types of meat.

I decided to do Jerk Chicken as it's one of Georges favourites, and it was just the two of us for the evening.

The Jerk marinade was made with fresh scotch bonnets and spring onions, ground up in the mini processor with various spices - whole allspice and black pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon and lots of fresh thyme - soy sauce, brown sugar and lime juice bound it all together.



The resulting paste was massaged into chicken breasts - I used skin on bone in breasts. Note the gloves, essential for contact lens wearers handling fresh chillies!!



After marinading for around 8 hours, it was cooked slowly over charcoal.


To serve with this I made an old favourite in this house - rice and peas. However, I made it in my trusty rice cooker, and it worked very well indeed.

The soaked basmati rice and a tin of kidney beans had spring onion, chilli, all spice, and coconut milk added, and then it was just left to cook.


Finally, to serve up, I fried some slices on plantain in coconut oil



Delicious - and VERY spicy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment