Monday 30 November 2015

Sunday 29 November - Goats Cheese Tarts

I decided to have a go at making some puff pastry myself in order to make some simple cheese tarts.

I was surprised to find that it's made with bread flour, and also that there are equal quantities of fat and flour in the recipe. Having looked at several books I went with rubbing a tiny bit of fat into the flour, before adding the water to make a dough. This was rolled out, and folded around that bashed out flat butter.


This was then rested in the fridge, folded and rolled several times, before a final chilling in the fridge.
It actually wasn't difficult, but very time consuming with all the waiting round between rollings.

While the pastry was resting I made some onion filling for the tarts.


Sliced onions, garlic and thyme were cooked slowly in butter, then towards the end as they softened, I added some brown sugar and balsamic vinegar.


I spread this over the rolled out pastry, and topped with thinly sliced tomatoes. For George I added mozarella, and for me some sliced goats cheese.




I scored a border onto the pastry, and glazed this with egg before baking in a really hot oven.


I was pretty proud of this as it rose beautifully, and was really crisp. Would probably leave the tomato off if I did it again though, as it didn't really add much to the flavour of the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment