Friday 1 January 2016

Thursday 31 December - Burgers

We decided to have a burger New Years Eve Supper, but the challenge was to make the whole lot from scratch.

I started with the buns - I've never made brioche before, so thought it was worth a go. It was similaar to my normal burger buns, but with the addition of eggs, some butter, and a bit more sugar than I'd normally use. The dough was very soft, and quite slow to rise, but I managed to shape it into 8 burger style buns.


Next onto one of the side dishes - I made a simple coleslaw, using yoghurt mixed in with the mayonnaise, as I find it a bit too oily without.


For the other accompaniments I made thin cut potato chips, and also some beer battered onion rings.

Burger sauce was made from scratch too - basically mixing together all the sauces you would put on a burger anyway.


Now for the burgers themselves - we minced up some rump steaks, and added a little fried onion, and lots of salt and pepper.


I moulded the meat around some sliced emmenthal cheese to make an inside out cheeseburger.

Finally the burgers were fried, we were aiming to have them slightly pink in the middle.


Once they were ready the sandwiches were assembled - toasted rolls, mayo, burger, sliced tomato and blued cheese on top, along with some crisp pancetta slices.


Served with the coleslaw, fries, onion rings and of course a giant pickle. This was easily the best burger I have ever eaten, but such a lot of work to have everything ready at the same time, so will be reserved to have for a special treat.


No comments:

Post a Comment