Saturday 28 May 2016

Friday 27 May - Salade Nicoise

The weather is gorgeous at the moment, so summer food is called for (although we haven't actually eaten outside yet)

I was surprised to find fresh tuna steaks in Aldi, to make things easier their cheap vegetables this week included green beans and Jersey Royals - so Nicoise seemed the obvious thing to make.


I don't follow a recipe for this, as they seem to differ so much. One thing I don't do is add garlic to the dressing, as if I eat raw garlic it keeps me up all night!

The dressing was a mustardy vinaigrette, but I used olive oil and added some chopped chives at the end


I took great pleasure in popping out to the bottom of the garden to find some lettuce to add.



The tuna was fried until pink in the centre, and then broken up, and dressed while still warm.


The potatoes were also dressed while they were still warm.

I then built up layers of lettuce, tomatoes, the potatoes and beans, some marinated artichokes, olives and the tuna. Although anchovies are traditional I added some salted capers.

The layers were then tossed together.



Finally, when it was served it was finished of with boiled eggs


I'm looking forwards to making this again in a couple of months when we have potatoes, beans and tomatoes from our allotment!

No comments:

Post a Comment