Sunday 24 June 2012

Sunday 24 June - The Great Tortilla Experiment

So, thanks to a random post by someone on the food board, I found myself browsing the Mex Grocer site to look at Mexican ingredients, and unfortunately a tortilla press fell into my shopping basket, (along with a few other goodies). The parcel arrived very swiftly (the next day in fact) and I decided to spend the day trying to make tortillas for supper tonight.


The instructions on the bag of flour were in Spanish, but I think I managed to follow them - 2 cups of flour were mixed with some salt, and 1 1/4 cups of hand hot water - I mixed it in the Kenwood with the dough hook, and thought it wasn't holding together, but then went in with my hands, and had a dough that felt exactly like playdough, and smelt like my sons breath after a dorito fest!


Now to the press itself, I didn't think this would work for one minute, it all seemed too simple to me....




A ball of dough was placed between two pieces of polythene, ( I cut a freezer bag up) and then we closed the press, and pushed down on the handle....




Much to our amazement, a perfect tortilla emerged, and it also came off the plastic with no problem at all.



I cooked these on my heavy iron crepe pan, and will reheat them later on.



A pile of tortillas completed  - we have sampled one, and they taste just like soft doritos.

Serving these later on with chicken which I have marinaded in beer and spices, which I will stir fry with some peppers and onions, and I've got a big pan of black beans simmering away to serve along side it.


1 comment: