Sunday 10 June 2012

Thursday 7 June - Pork Meatballs

The quest at the moment is food on a budget as we are saving frantically for our holiday in August.
A few days off work, so more time for messing around in the kitchen, and pork loin steaks very cheap in Lidl at the moment.

We minced the steaks, fat and all as that way there is more flavour in the final meatballs.






I prefer to keep it all fairly plain in the actual meatballs - I add some bread soaked in milk, and some chopped oregano plus salt and pepper, and roll them into smallish meatballs that I fry pretty thoroughly.




The flavour is all in the tomato sauce - lots of fried onion and garlic, tinned tomatoes at this time of year, and lots and lots of fresh basil cooked into it. I then simmer the cooked meatballs for a good hour or so.

Served over spagetti with more torn fresh basil, and lots of grated fresh parmesan. This is what I tend to cook if I have visiting children, as I've yet to find a child who doesn't enjoy meatballs!

No comments:

Post a Comment