Sunday 29 July 2012

Saturday 27 July - Turnip Glut and Summer Supper

We found a rather huge row of turnips ready to be harvested in the back garden, and I remembered seeing a Claudia Roden recipe for pickled turnips, or Torshi Left. I've made one jar to see what they are like, as they don't keep for ages.

They were placed in a jar with some chopped raw beetroot and some sliced garlic, and a mix of hot vinegar water and salt poured over - we can try them in couple of days.





Summer has finally arrived on the South Coast, so a summer supper was called for - I made Delia Smiths Feta Cheesecake for a starter, but replaced the cream cheese with Quark and low fat cheese from Lidl - this was very light and quite sharp - a lovely way to start a meal - we added some tabasco to liven the mix up a bit.




Main course was Thai Beef Salad - this recipe is from Sophie Grigsons wonderful Meat book, and a recipe I do actually follow properly - even measuring the ingredients for the dressing!

The steak was rump, and Bob cooked this for 90 seconds on each side - I'm not allowed to cook steak as George says I'm no good at it.





It was lovely and spicy and perfect for a hot summer evening.

Afters were not so healthy - George had been blueberry picking with Granny and Grandpa this week, so I made the Lurpak raspberry blondies, but using blueberries instead - these were made with white chocolate and lots of chunky almonds, and served with some vanilla icecream.

Very tasty, and lovely and squidgy, but I still prefer the plain chocolate version.






No comments:

Post a Comment