Friday 14 September 2012

Thursday 13 September - Pumpkin

The pumpkin patch on our allotment has proved to be a huge success, and 10 pumpkins, all in the region of 6kg have been produced. We picked one this week, and have had to find lots of meals to use it up in, so soup on Tuesday, and today a Middle Eastern Pumpkin and Chickpea stew from Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls Veg Book.


I started off by using up some of the tomatoes we have grown (not a great crop this year unfortunately), these were roasted along with some garlic and herbs and then pureed to a sauce.


Other ingredients included spices ( I added chilli powder to the recipe) lentils, onions, garlic, chickpeas and orzo. The recipe included celery which I left out as I can't stand it cooked and in pieces.



This was all cooked together, I reduced the amount of oil down to a couple of teaspoons as I've had to cut out on fat almost completely due to Gallstones.

Absolutely delicious - we served it along with some harrissa that I mixed into a bit of the stock for an added kick.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment