Sunday 25 November 2012

Saturday 24 November - Chicken with Zataar and Sumac

Yotam Ottolenghi currently has a wonderful TV series on, so I was inspired to look through the one book of his that I own, and I came across a recipe for Chicken with Zataar and Sumac. This led to a hasty trip over to Southsea for some ingredients as Zataar probably rather difficult to find round here. I decided to serve with flat bread and some dips.


Babaganoush - I use Sophie Grigsons recipe for this - I roasted the aubergines  and the resulting grey mush was drained and then processed with tahini, garlic, cumin, lemon juice and a spoonful of oil ( I cut down the oil in all the recipes I made for this meal)



I also made Houmus using a jar of chickpeas, and some tzatziki using lebanese yoghurt which is wonderful stuff!



I also used up some of my homemade turnip and beetroot pickle - Torshi Left , and added some lovely flat breads to the meal.


The chicken was breast quarters which were marinaded in stock, garlic, onions, sliced lemon and some spices - sumac, cinnamon and allspice.. This was then sprinkled with the Zataar and roasted before being topped with some pine nuts and served with the dips and bread.


Lots of chicken left over, as we must have bought some breasts from the Dolly Partons of the chicken world, but we can use this up in soup this week.

1 comment:

  1. Ottolenghi is fantastic but his recipes definitely stand up to a bit of oil reduction - some of the ones I've seen in his books are swimming in the stuff! That aside, this chicken looks absolutely delicious.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete