Monday 5 November 2012

Monday 5 November - Indian Potato Cakes

I've fancied trying to make these for a while, and as I suspected they weren't as easy as the recipes all imply!

I based these on a Sophie Grigson recipe I found online - but adjusted the spices in the filling.

Basically it was onion, carrot, peas and chilli processed together, and fried (although I added water to a tsp of oil and evaporated it off. Then added spices - chilli, cumin, coriander, garam masala and some turmeric, along with ginger and garlic paste.



Chopped coriander and lime were stirred in, and left to cool a bit.

The potatoes were boiled in their skins, then mashed with some flour and salt. Formed into patties with the filling in the middle (this was the hard bit!)

Fried on a griddle which I had brushed with a tsp of oil - the trick seems to be in not fiddling with them and turning them as little as possible.



We served them with mango chutney and pickle, and my favourite low fat salad of chopped onion, cucumber and tomato mixed with jarred mint sauce, salt, pepper and lemon juice



No comments:

Post a Comment