Tuesday 2 July 2013

Tuesday 2 July - Spicy Bean Burgers

I belong to a Facebook food group that sets a weekly challenge to the members - this is great fun and people take their entries very seriously. This weeks challenge was 'homemade fast food' so definitely one that is bound to be popular with all generations. I decided to try and make bean burgers for the first time in my life. Had a good google and came up with a few recipes which I cobbled together in my normal way.

I cooked some turtle beans - I did the quick soak method by boiling the beans hard for 10 minutes and the leaving for half an hour.


I then rinsed, boiled again, and popped into the slow cooker for the rest of the day. After about 8 hours they were cooked to perfection.

 

These were mashed, and added to some fried onion, spring onion, garlic, chilli, some mexican seasoning (don't tell anyone but after I'd added it I noticed that this unopened jar was best before Feb 2010) , chopped coriander, an egg, some breadcrumbs and finally some crumbled Feta cheese.



I shaped them into burgers, and then I dipped into flour, egg and panko crumbs before shallow frying.


I topped the burgers with cheddar and grilled for a seconds before serving in home made burger buns.


The burgers were topped with guacamole, salsa and some pickled jalapenos, and served with some potato salad with new potatoes from our allotment - the first batch of the year, so very little seasonings needed as they tasted so delicious - a simple yoghurt and chive dressing was all they needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment