Friday 25 January 2013

Friday 25 January - Burns Night Supper (without Haggis!)

Burns Night, and off we went to Waitrose to purchase a nice Haggis. Disaster - they only had Haggis to serve ten - and only two of us to eat it.

Quick rethink, and a small Bury Black Pudding was purchased as an alternative, to be stuffed into chicken breasts.





I chopped this up and fried it in a dry pan,  to give it a lovely black colour, then left it to cool.


This was then stuffed into pockets I'd cut into the chicken breasts


and wrapped in parma ham. The chicken breasts and ham required a visit to Lidl as I refuse to pay four times as much in Waitrose for the same product.



I oven baked these - with a bit of trepidation as my main oven is broken, so I had to use my top oven, and was a bit unsure of the temperature range, but it seemed to work ok.

I made a mushroom sauce with the leftover mushrooms from last nights risotto, cooking them with onions, garlic, and white wine, and finishing with 2% creme fraiche and a bit of cornflour to stop it splitting.

We also made some mash, spinach and some swede cubes - made with this swede we found in Lidl that amusingly looked exactly like a hairy arse.




No comments:

Post a Comment