Monday 14 January 2013

Monday 14 January - Basa Fish Pie

Having always avoided buying Basa or River Cobbler before, I was tempted to buy some this week due to the fact it was half the price of any other fish.

I bought some smoked, and some plain fillets and used half of each of these along with a pack of raw prawns to make a pie with - the remaining fish is in the freezer for another day.

I popped the fish into boiling wine and water and turned the heat off immediately as the fillets were very thin - they were left for no more than 3 minutes, and then removed and split into bite sized pieces.


To the mixed fish I added  some white sauce made with skimmed milk and cornflour, chopped soft boiled eggs, chopped parsley, dill and capers and some seasoning.





I layered this in a dish with some lightly cooked chard that I'd removed the stalks from, and topped with mashed potato and a sprinkle of low fat cheddar.




This was baked until golden and served with plain lightly cooked frozen petit pois.



I don't think I'd buy Basa to eat as a fish on it's own, but definitely a cheap option for fish pie, or fish cakes and I'd certainly use it again for these.

No comments:

Post a Comment