Monday 21 January 2013

Sunday 20 January - Apple Pie

Tonight was Chicken Tagine and Cous Cous, followed by Apple Pie for the boys.

I decided on a completely traditional pie made with shortcrust pastry, and in my book the best shortcrust is made with half lard and half butter.


I rested this in the fridge for half an hour before rolling out and lining the pie plate.


Bramleys are the best apple for pie, and I peeled these, and kept them in water and lemon juice until I was ready for them.


I layered the sliced apple with brown sugar, and handful of dried fruit, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.


Topped with pastry, brushed with egg, and sprinkled with vanilla sugar.



This was served warm with custard.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks Tim

    It seemed to go down well - I was very good and didn't even try it! It's a bit unfair to restrict the diets of everyone else in the house just because mine is restricted!

    ReplyDelete