Wednesday 16 January 2013

Wednesday 16 January - Chicken Quinoa Balti

The quinoa packet had a very bizarre sounding recipe on the back for chicken and quinoa balti, and something about this idea rather appealed to me.

I did of course make a few changes as normal.

Onions were fried and I added some garlic and ginger paste, before adding cubed chicken. Then I added some spices from my lovely spice box - a bit of everything in there to add some heat.


Then the balti  paste and quinoa were added along with a pack of chopped tomatoes and our home made chicken stock.




This was simmered for about 20  minutes - on tasting I felt something was missing, so added a small pack of creamed coconut and stirred until it melted.
The whole dish was finished with chopped coriander and some toasted cashew nuts.



We served this with mango chutney and lime pickle and some chapattis and naan breads - didn't feel rice was necessary. Surprisingly tasty, and very, very filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment