Tuesday 7 February 2012

Tuesday 7 February - Perhaps Too Much Spice!

Chilli tonight, but made with Quorn.

Did the usual, but I think perhaps a bit much of the chilli flakes fell in the pan. With quorn you cook the sauce first, so onions, garlic, spices, then tomatoes and kidney beans (out of a tin) and a couple of squares of plain chocolate.
I cooked this for about 40 minutes, then added the pack of quorn and simmered for another 15 mins before stirring in some frozen chopped coriander - I love this, as I find the packs of coriander from supermarkets go slimy very quickly, so I always keep some in the freezer for emergencies.




This was served with plain boiled long grain rice, and some sliced jalapeno peppers. I would have served soured cream normally, but today we used 0% fat fromage frais, and there was not really any noticeable difference, so that's one to remember for future reference.
In chilli, I find quorn mince as good, if not better than using meat mince - I don't like it in bolognese sauce much, but when it's got lots of strong flavours I don't think many people would realise that they are not actually eating meat.
Two spare portions to go in the freezer too as an added bonus!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment