Thursday 2 February 2012

Thursday 2 February - Groundhog Day and Meatballs

Some meatballs left over from a previous meal were found lurking in the freezer - uncooked balls of minced pork fillet, with some olives and seasoning to liven them up a bit.

Fried in a teaspoon of olive oil until browned





Then a standard tomato sauce - onions, garlic, tomatoes but my new favourite way of buying them in a tetrapak (marketing mans dream that I am) and some extra flavours such as wine, and 'Umami paste'. Fresh basil should have gone in, but due to an issue in the supermarket this morning (loading my shopping onto the belt prior to realising I didn't actually have my bag with me) I made do with dried at the start of the recipe. (was unable to return to said supermarket due to fear of ridicule....).




Meatballs were simmered for about 30 mins in the tomato sauce and then mixed with cooked pasta. Parmesan was compulsory despite the low fat diet - about half an ounce was ample for two servings and some bits for the cats to eat (ie I spotted them with their heads in the dish, and decided not to have seconds...)

As a side salad - rocket and lambs lettuce with some lovely thick mustardy dressing whisked up by George.



Probably weigh about 20 stone now, but it was GOOD!!!

1 comment: