Thursday 9 February 2012

Thursday 9 February - Fish Pie

Trying to use up a few things from the freezer, and also in a quest to eat less red meat and more fish, I decided on fish pie for tonight. I had some lovely smoked haddock purchased on our last visit to the fish sheds, and also a bag of ordinary frozen prawns, and some cheap cod fillets.
Poached the cod and haddock in bit of wine and water flavoured with onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves for about 4 minutes, then flaked it.
The poaching liquid was made into a sauce with a tiny bit of marg and flour, and a spoonful of half fat creme fraiche some parsley, dried dill and capers were added. Then the fish was stirred in, and it was all placed in my favourite piece of kitchenware - my enamel pie dish.


In the old days I would have used twice as much fish, and also a whole pot of cream, so in comparison this is pretty good! 
A layer of spinach flavoured with a squeeze of lemon went on top of this.



Then the mash for topping. I'm finding mash without butter a bit hard work, so this was pushed through the ricer, and some hot skimmed milk beaten into it, before piping over the pie filling. A little sprinkle of half fat cheddar went over the top, and then into the oven. To be served with broad beans, as I can't find the peas in my freezer.....




It's still in the oven at the moment, but smelling pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, this looks delicious!

    I've been meaning to try the new extra light Lurpak to see if it would be ok for things like mashed potato (and kedgeree which I'm still thinking about following your comment the other day!) I tend to be a bit of a purist when it comes to butter - but for cooking and baking it might be ok. And on a slightly related subject, I'm VERY intrigued to sample the reduced fat camembert you mentioned in your last post!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I of course have bought the lurpack lightest - as I've said a sucker for marketing. It's fine on bread etc but I think in cooking you could just use less butter for the same effect! The low fat camembert is from Lidl (I bloody love Lidl) - they also do low fat brie, cheddar and mozarella - the cambembert is only 7% fat, and tasted as good to me and not funny in texture like the cheddar tends to to - it could have just been me enjoying it overly due to my cheese deprived state though... They also do a 0.2% cheese spread type thing, which is pretty good in place of butter - particularly with marmite on top of it!

    ReplyDelete