Thursday 12 January 2012

12th Jan - Not Much Cooking, and A Look At My Kitchen

No posting for yesterday, as was in London for a meeting and didn't arrive home until 830, so not really in a mood to think about food or to cook properly. Supper was wonton soup made with left over homemade wontons filled with prawn and chicken that we had frozen for just such an evening. The stock was a Knorr Stockpot with some added garlic, ginger and soy to make it a bit more Chinese flavoured.

Tonight is also not really a cooking night, so we are going to invent a sort of fish pie, but using tinned tuna. Will make a parsley sauce but using cornflour instead of the usual roux to thicken it, and use up the last of the potatoes from our most recent sack. I know it doesn't sound the most appetising thing in the world, but hopefully should be fairly filling as the cold weather is setting in again.

For someone who is obsessed with cooking, I think my kitchen is probably slightly unusual, but I love it. I think it was probably last updated cupboard wise in the 1950s, and we have worked around this by adding odd bits of shelving etc, most of it purchased from Lidl (my favourite shop!)

The oven is housed in the old chimney breast - note my lovely kettle which was my Christmas present.




TV - this is necessary in the kitchen so I can cook whilst watching cookery programmes
In the top right hand corner is my PG Tips Monkey Tree - we don't even like PG Tips, so this is a very good example of me being influenced by marketing - many boxes of nasty tea were purchased and cups of watery PG Tips forced down in order to obtain all those knitted monkeys in t-shirts.....




The lefthand glass cupboard is the reason I don't get a fitted kitchen as I wouldn't want to lose it. The problem with not having a fitted kitchen though is the lack of storage space. My kitchen doesn't look like this because I'm untidy - not at all!!!





Just outside the kitchen door lots of tabby things start to gather and make a noise at about 430 pm
Julia, Leonard and Derek are the greediest cats I've ever met, and would probably eat 24  hours a day if they could open tins themselves.




The thought of a fitted kitchen is always at the back of my mind, but I rather love the quirkiness of it
The main problem is that no one else understands my 'system' and so can't find anything when I'm not here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi OG

    I am Virtualraspberry from the Beeb board and seen your link, Good Blog! I will follow with interest as I am trying to lose about 10lbs which just will not shift! Look forward to hearing about your growing and cooking and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the first comment on my blog - I'm getting quite addicted to this now!

    I wish I only had 10lb to lose.. I'm doing OK so far though - about 5lb down in the first two weeks, although from previous experience the first few come off the quickest

    ReplyDelete