Wednesday 18 January 2012

18th January - Fish Cakes and a Very Strange Salad

Not having to cater for George tonight, so can cook a meal containing things that he claims to hate, despite him never having tried them in living memory....
Fish cakes made with tinned tuna - mixed with baked potato flesh, touch of dried dill, and some small capers. I would normally egg and breacrumb, but as the mix seemed quite firm I baked them with just a brush of oil and no crumb casing.

Was going to serve with peas, but decided this would be a bit dry, so invented a salad to serve alongside - tinned butter beans mixed with tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and olives - lemon juice and a dash of olive oil. Had a taste, and altogether too bland - so a large dash of tabasco was added which was an improvement.



This wasn't the worst thing I've ever cooked, but having finished a plateful have to confess to still feeling rather hungry, and beginning to yearn for cheese.... I think I need to be very determined now to keep going.
I did give up smoking though, and if I could do that, losing a few stone can't be that hard surely....
Good news is that I've lost 5lb so far, so at least I can say it's working.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, 5lbs is fantastic, well done you!

    I love fishcakes, although I don't cook them that often because I am never sure what to serve with them (hubby is not the biggest salad fan in the world).

    Sx

    ReplyDelete