Sunday 15 January 2012

14 Jan - Homemade Pasta

Very lacking in Saturday inspiration - all our normal Saturday meals were out of bounds - I'm really missing cheese now after two weeks!

George decided homemade pasta was the way to go, so I made a ragu in the normal way, but using a mixture 5% fat minced beef and the lowest fat minced pork we could find -8% free range pork mince from Waitrose. Our other option would have been to mince a pork fillet, but that seemed rather a waste! If I make a chilli I would use Quorn while watching my fat intake, as I can't tell the difference, but bolognese requires meat to taste decent!

George wouldn't use the food processor for his pasta dough, insisting it had to be made by hand.
These are his ingredients - he also added some salt and a dash of olive oil.




All mixed together using his trusty spirtle, and then kneaded for around 8 minutes until stretchy. Then vitally rested in the fridge, wrapped in clingfilm so as not to dry it out.





Then through the pasta machine, until the correct thickness to cut into tagliatelle - then dried on our improvised pasta drying rack - we set off yesterday in search of wood to make one, and ended up buying a rack designed for hanging off a radiator  to dry pants and socks...



2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain re cheese. I have been known to use the Cathedral City Lighter brand for cooking which works ok. I also find that if you get a good strong blue, a little goes a very long way in, say, broccoli and blue cheese soup, so you can get the flavour hit without using too much; you can then use a very low fat soft cheese to get a silky texture.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that - I bought some of the Cathedral City lighter, but not tried it yet. I know I can never give up cheese completely, I love it too much, but if I am going to use it better to use a lower fat version!

    ReplyDelete